Q: Can I enroll in multiple degrees or certificates?

A: The VA will only certify you in one program (at a time), and all classes you take need to count towards that program. You may be enrolled in a degree and a certificate at the same time, but only if the certificate requirements are also requirements of the degree.

  • One way to check if all your courses go towards your degree is to log in to your Student Center, and choose “Academic Requirements” from the drop down menu in the Academics section. Then click the arrow button. In the new screen that opens, scroll down and click to expand the blue Unused Courses bar. If any of your current courses are displayed in that section, they are unlikely to be covered by VA.
    • There is one exception to this rule: If you are in your final semester before graduating from your program, VA will allow you to fill in your schedule with any classes you choose. This way, students can still build a full-time schedule even if they only have one class left for their program.


Q: Will VA pay for developmental courses?

A: Yes, but VA will only pay for MTE and ENF classes if they are taken in person – these may not be taken online.


Q: Can I combine VA education benefits with Federal Financial Aid?

A: Yes. You may use both VA educational benefits and Federal Financial Aid in the same semester. To apply for financial aid, you must complete the FAFSA. Some kinds of military pay and VA benefits do not need to be reported as income on the FAFSA, so many students using VA benefits to support themselves during college do qualify for the Federal Pell Grant. Please be aware that you need to complete the FAFSA every new tax year.


Q: Will VA pay out of state tuition?

A: No. In-state tuition verification is important because the VA will not pay out of state tuition. See our domicile page for more information.  


Q: I want to change my program. What should I do?

A: If you want to change your degree plan, you must meet with your Veterans Services advisor. Both LFCC and VA require separate forms to make the change.


Q: How can I be sure that the program I want to study is VA approved?

A: Contact Veterans Services to verify. Some degrees and certificates are not VA approved.


Q: Can my Joint Services Transcript give me college credit? 

A: It’s possible! Please have it sent to LFCC for evaluation using these links:

Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard : https://jst.doded.mil/smart/welcome.do

Air Force: http://www.airuniversity.af.mil/Barnes/CCAF/Display/Article/803247/

You’ll also need to turn in a Credit for Prior Learning Evaluation form to the Admissions/Records department. Click this link to download a copy: https://lfcc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Credit-for-Prior-Learning-Evaluation-Request.pdf

The evaluation process may take some time. You will be notified by the Admissions/Records department via email if you are given college credit.


Q: Will VA pay for non-credit licenses and certifications through the Workforce Solutions department?

A: Yes, but only certain licenses and certifications are reimbursable. Click here to find out if the one you’re searching for is approved. VA will pay up to $2000 per test. There is no limit to the number of tests you can take and VA will reduce your remaining months of entitlement based on the cost of the test that they reimburse.


Q: Are any scholarships available for Veterans?

A: Check here for opportunities!

Sidebar search form