History of the College

Where We’ve Been


College-Building-&-Facilities-006During the 1964 session, the General Assembly of Virginia passed legislation providing for the establishment of two-year technical colleges in the Commonwealth. The plan called for a partnership between the state and the local cities and counties to sponsor a technical college in their region. Only two years later, the General Assembly expanded the legislation to include the development of not only technical education but also adult education and freshman and sophomore courses for transfer to four-year colleges and universities.


Lord-Fairfax-PortraitThroughout the late 1960s and early 1970s, colleges began to open in communities across Virginia. Lord Fairfax Community College (LFCC) was one of these institutions. Named after Thomas Lord Fairfax VI, LFCC opened its doors in September 1970. In 1747, Lord Fairfax established his residence, Greenway Court, at nearby White Post and was a respected force in the formation of the new America.

Located in Middletown, Va., on a 120-acre tract in the northern Shenandoah Valley, the College consisted of one large building that included classrooms, laboratories, administrative and faculty offices, a business office, the William M. Dietel Bookstore and the Fredy and Klara Kummli Student Center. At its formation, the institution served a total of 577 students. Two years later, LFCC held its first graduation ceremony, with 92 students receiving their degrees. Later that same year on December 18, 1972, the College received accreditation from the Southern Association of Community and Junior Colleges.


Construction-001Further construction did not begin until 1985, when LFCC built a technology center on the Middletown Campus. This added a special events center, computer labs, classrooms and faculty offices. The technology center was dedicated in 1993 and officially named the Alson H. Smith, Jr. Technology Center.

In December 1988, expansion continued when Fauquier County Executive Bob G. Sowder donated 2.5 acres of property to establish a second campus. The renovated barn on the property became the Fauquier Campus of LFCC. Now with two campuses, the College was able to better meet the needs of individuals in the communities it served.


Fauquier-Campus-Plans-for-1st-BuildingThe mid-1990s saw further construction. In 1994, the Learning Resources Center was completed and dedicated in honor of benefactor Paul Wolk. This new space provided students and community members access to thousands of books and resources such as journals, video recordings, DVDs, compact discs, computer programs, newspapers, electronic books and a host of other print-based materials.

In 1996, the General Assembly appropriated $7.2 million to construct additional facilities on the Fauquier Campus. Over the next three years, a 60,000-square-foot classroom and administrative building was constructed. The Wolk Hall classroom and administration building was dedicated on October 22, 1999, and named in honor of Paul and Sheila Wolk.

For almost 45 years, LFCC has served the area by offering quality educational opportunities to members of the community. The future is bright with possibilities as the College continues to expand in an effort to meet the growing needs of the communities it serves.

Where We Are Now


042408-LFCC-M-032Founded in 1970, Lord Fairfax Community College (LFCC) is a comprehensive, multi-campus public institution of higher education. Through its four locations — the Fauquier and Middletown Campuses, the Luray-Page County Center, and Vint Hill — the College serves eight localities in the Shenandoah Valley and Piedmont regions. The localities are the counties of Clarke, Fauquier, Frederick, Page, Rappahannock, Shenandoah and Warren and the city of Winchester.

LFCC offers more than 75 associate degree and certificate programs in a wide variety of disciplines, in addition to providing access to bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs offered on site by a four-year institution. LFCC also serves the business community by offering workforce preparation programs for employees and employers. LFCC serves more than 9,600 unduplicated credit students and more than 10,700 individuals in professional development and business and industry courses annually.


042308-LFCC-W-105LFCC promotes equal opportunity in educational programs and activities, admission and employment without regard to race, color, sex or age (except where sex or age is a bona fide occupational qualification), religion, handicap, national origin or other non-merit factors.

Lord Fairfax Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Lord Fairfax Community College.

LFCC is a proud member of the American Association of Community Colleges (AACC).

For more information, interested individuals may contact the Fauquier Campus at 540-351-1505, the Middletown Campus at 800-906-5322, the Luray-Page County Center at 540-843-0722, and Vint Hill at 540-351-1531.

Sidebar search form