The Instructional Technology Office (ITO) is dedicated to helping faculty design, develop and implement online and classroom technology that engages students and improves their learning. Our office provides many services and resources that address LFCC’s instructional technology needs.
If you would like to request training for yourself or small group on a topic not listed here, please contact Gannon Nordberg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click a heading below to expand the contents.
LFCC uses Blackboard Learn course management system to facilitate online and hybrid courses and enhance face-to-face courses.
- Web Browser Compatibility Checker
- Faculty Blackboard Set-Up
- Create an Announcement
- Add a Syllabus as PDF
- Google Docs Syllabus on Blackboard
- Add Faculty Contact Info
- Change Course Availability
- Using the Content Editor
- Adjusting Dates in Blackboard
- Create a Test Exception
- Add a Teaching Assistant to Your Course Video]
- Create Content: Add Files, Images, Audio, and Video
- How to Use the Qwickly Tool in Blackboard [Video]
- How to Copy a Blackboard Course [Video]
- How to Use a Discussion Board
- Link to an Item on Blackboard
- Embed a YouTube Video on Blackboard
- Using New Box View Inline Grader
- Using the Review Status Option in Blackboard
- Reviewing Assignment Submission Receipts on Blackboard
- Adjust Blackboard Notifications Settings [Video]
- Copy a Blackboard Test Between Courses [Video]
- Send Reminders About Missing Coursework
- Add an Image to Blackboard
- Change the Banner Theme on Blackboard
- How to Quickly Jump from one Blackboard Course to Another
- Hide Old Courses on Blackboard
- Adding a Profile Photo to Blackboard
- Remove VCCS College Tabs on Blackboard
- Using VoiceThread in Blackboard
- Copy & Paste Text with Blackboard
- Export & Import a Blackboard Course
- Group Blackboard Courses by Term
- Keyboard Accessible Reordering of Items
- Use the Blackboard Instructor App
- How to use Student Preview Mode in Blackboard
- Backup the Blackboard Grade Center to Microsoft Excel [Video]
- SaveAssign Overview
- Using Grade Reports and Statistics
Direct link to VCCS Gmail: http://mail.email.vccs.edu/. To log in, use your MyLFCC username and password.
- Access VCCS Gmail Account
- Gmail Cheat Sheet
- Keep Track of Tasks in Gmail
- Switching from Outlook to Gmail
- Add VCCS Google mail, calendars, and contacts on iPhone or iPad
- Forward VCCS Gmail Account to LFCC Email Account
- Forward LFCC Email Account to VCCS Gmail
- What is Google Drive?
- Google Drive Cheat Sheet
- How to Access Google Drive
- Back up & sync files with Google Drive File Stream
- Sharing Files and Folders on Google Drive
- Work on the Same File at the Same Time in Google Docs
- Google Docs Cheat Sheet
- Convert a Google Docs file to Microsoft Word
- Switching to Google Docs from Microsoft Word
Other G Suite Resources
- Username or password issues with Blackboard and MyLFCC
- Reset MyLFCC Password (Blackboard & Gmail)
- How to Access the MyLFCC Portal
- Reset Your LFCC Employee Email Account Password
- Download Microsoft Office 365 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) [Video]
- Add a video to your PowerPoint for Mac presentation
- Change Default Reply Option in Microsoft Office 365 Mail/Outlook
- Save a Microsoft Word file as PDF
- Create a Video Screencast with Screencast-O-Matic
- How to Record a Video on macOS
- How to Record a Video on Windows 7
- How to Record a Video on Windows 10
- Add your own subtitles & closed captions to YouTube videos
- Where Can I Download Antivirus Software for My Computer?
- Integrate free, high-quality, copyright-free images into Microsoft Office
- Apple Music and Spotify Music Streaming Services – Education Discount
- Free MailButler Professional for Apple Mail
- Clear Web Browser Cache and History [Video]
- Browse the web in private on Google Chrome
- Take a Screen Shot on Windows
- Take a Screen Shot on macOS
- iOS Access for All – Comprehensive eBook guide to accessibility on iPad and iPhone
- Learn Touch Typing for Free with TypingClub
- Download Firefox on macOS
- Download Firefox on Windows 8
- Download Google Chrome on Windows 10
- Download Google Chrome on Windows 8
- Download Google Chrome on macOS
- Translating Web Pages in Google Chrome
- Convert an Apple Pages file on a Mac to Microsoft Word
- Web Browser Plugins and Downloads
- What’s new in Windows 10?
The VCCS Blackboard contract will end in June 2019. Therefore, the system developed a Request For Proposals to evaluate different learning management systems over the past year. After careful consideration, the VCCS has offered an Intent to Award this contract to Instructure (Canvas).
Canvas is a well-established learning management system that has been successfully adopted by many colleges all over the country. We’re confident in its ability to serve our students and faculty well moving forward.
LFCC is focused on building Canvas awareness college-wide and has offered over 30 hours of faculty training during the Fall 2018 semester. All VCCS colleges are now part of a Canvas pilot for the Spring 2019 semester and LFCC has over 50 courses being taught on Canvas for the Spring. All Summer 2019 courses will be 100% on Canvas and Blackboard will be discontinued.
Canvas URL: https://vccs.instructure.com
- Getting Started with Canvas Live Webinars
- Blackboard to Canvas Migration Guide
- Move Blackboard Tests into Canvas [video, 2:39 with captions]
- Move Blackboard Course Files to Canvas [video, 3:43 with captions]
- Request a Canvas sandbox (development) course
- Canvas Template Course Information
- Using Google Meet in Canvas for online office hours
- VCCS Canvas Implementation – September 20, 2018
Canvas has a wide range of resources to help you learn about how to get your courses set up.
Common Canvas Questions
- How do I use the course Home Page?
- How do I create an Announcement?
- How do I email my students?
- What assignment types can I create in a course?
- How do I create an Assignment?
- How do I create a Quiz?
- How do I create a Discussion?
- How do I use the Gradebook?
- How do make my content accessible to all users in Canvas?
- How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an instructor? [or view the complete PDF Guide]
- Where can I download the Canvas Teacher app for my mobile device?
Other Canvas Resources
- Canvas Instructor Guides – Table of Contents
- Canvas Basics Guide – Table of Contents
- Video Guide – Table of Contents
- Canvas Instructor Tour Videos
- Guides: Arc
- Guides: Commons
- Canvas Training Portal
- Where can I download the Guides PDF manuals?
Help & Support
The VCCS has purchased Canvas Tier 1 Support, which includes 24/7/365 direct access to Canvas Support, including, phone, chat, and email options. Other support options include the Canvas Guides. These include step-by-step guides on how to do just about anything in Canvas.
Want to chat with a human? Call Canvas, anytime. They are here to help!
(877) 875-8425 or email: email@example.com
In your Canvas course, there is a help button on the lower left global navigation menu. Clicking it will bring you to all these help and support resources.
- Blackboard: Refresher – View Recording
- Blackboard: Collaborate Ultra – View Recording
- Blackboard: Tests – View Recording
- Blackboard: Grade Center – View Recording
- Screencasting, Part 1 – Set-up & Recording – View Recording
- Screencasting, Part 2 – Editing & Publishing – View Recording
- Captioning YouTube Videos – View Recording
- Accessibility in Blackboard – View Recording
- VoiceThread in Blackboard – View Recording