EMS Program Admission
The EMS Program is open to men and women who provide evidence of interest, motivation and aptitude in the area of pre-hospital health care. Students are selected on the basis of established criteria and without regard to age, race, creed, sex, or national origin. All students must satisfy the requirements listed below;
- Age 18 on the first day of class.
- Meet the requirements listed in the Virginia Office of Emergency Medical Services document Prerequisites for EMS training Programs, Criminal History and Standards of Conduct.
- High school graduate or GED.
- Satisfy admission requirements for LFCC.
- Current Virginia or National Registry EMT certification or higher (must remain current for duration of program).
- Current Healthcare Provider CPR Certification approved by the Commonwealth of Virginia Office of EMS (must remain current for duration of program).
- No physical limitations rendering the student unfit to perform all required duties.
- To complete the Clinical and Field Internship portions of the program, submit results of a physical exam completed within the last 12 months with proof of immunizations or resistance to measles, mumps, rubella, Tdap, polio, Hepatitis B Vaccination, and TB Skin test within the last 12 months. If PPD is positive, submit results of chest x-ray showing negative for active TB.
- LFCC placement tests (if required*) and completion of any developmental work that may be identified by the placement test. Must be successful in MTE 01-06 and be eligible for ENG 111 to satisfy requirements without taking remediation. Results must be within the last 2 years.
- Residents from outside the Lord Fairfax Community College Service Area are admitted only after all applicants who reside in the College Service Area have been considered.
* Applicants that have completed equivalent college level math or English courses, or have SAT of 500 or greater, or ACT scores of 22 or greater have met the requirements as long as the courses and/or scores are no more than 6 years old.
Lord Fairfax Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation or disability in its programs or activities.
- Birth Certificate. If birth certificate is not available, valid passport or other government ID (e.g. driver’s license) with Date of Birth.
- Background check, drug screen and fingerprinting verifying the student meets the requirements, completed by designated LFCC agency. Student is responsible for cost, payable directly to the designated agency.
- High School Transcript/GED.
- Copy of valid EMS Provider (e.g. EMT) certification card that must remain current throughout the program.
- Copy of current Healthcare Provider CPR Card issued through a course approved by Virginia Office of EMS.
- Physical exam completed within the last 12 months signed by a primary care physician (must use LFCC form).
- Documentation of required vaccinations.
*Students who are absent from the program for one semester or more must repeat the background check & drug screen