Frequently Asked Questions About Student E-mail
What is student e-mail?
- The Virginia Community College System automatically creates an e-mail account for each student at a Virginia community college, including LFCC. This e-mail account is where important announcements and Canvas-related e-mail will be sent and should be the account used to submit assignments to or communicate with professors.
How do I get an account?
- Your e-mail address is automatically assigned when you apply for admission, and your account is activated within 24 hours of enrolling in a class.
How long do I get to keep my account?
- Your account will remain available as long as you are taking classes at LFCC. Once you stop taking classes for a period of time, your account may be deactivated. If this occurs, it will be reactivated with the same address once you enroll in classes again.
How do I access my e-mail?
- You can access your student e-mail a few ways. The simplest way is to visit the LFCC website and click on the MyLFCC button along the top of the page. Once you login there, you will be provided with links to several VCCS services including student Gmail, Canvas, and SIS. You can click on the link for student Gmail.
- Here is a Help Guide with detail instructions and screen shots on how to access your VCCS Student Gmail account.
What is my e-mail address?
- Your e-mail address will be [your username]@email.vccs.edu and will be provided to you when you apply for admission. You can look it up by visiting https://lf.my.vccs.edu/ and selecting the link ‘Forgot Username’. You will be asked a few questions to identify yourself and must enter your information exactly as it was entered on your application for admission.
What is my password?
- Your password is the same password used for Canvas and the MyLFCC portal. If you have never used these services before, visit https://lf.my.vccs.edu/ and select the link ‘Forgot Password’ or ‘Forgot Username’. Otherwise, you can select the link ‘Reset your password’. If you have trouble setting a password, please contact us by clicking here.
How do I change my password?
- After logging in at https://lf.my.vccs.edu, select the link ‘Change My Password’. If you are unable to login, reset your password by visiting https://lf.my.vccs.edu and selecting the link ‘Reset your password’. If you have trouble resetting your password, please contact the Admissions and Records Office by calling the Middletown Campus: 540-868-7110, or the Fauquier Campus: 540-351-1510.
What do I do if I can’t log in?
- If you are unable to login, first try to change your password by visiting https://lf.my.vccs.edu and selecting the link ‘Reset your password’. You will be asked a few questions to identify yourself and must enter your information exactly as it was entered on your application for admission. After changing your password, it could take 5-10 minutes for your new password to take full effect. If you still have trouble logging in, please contact the Admissions and Records Office by calling theMiddletown Campus: 540-868-7110, or the Fauquier Campus: 540-351-1510.
What web browsers can I use?
Currently, the student e-mail system supports the following browsers:
How big is my Gmail mailbox?
- Every student gets unlimited storage with a VCCS (and subsequently, LFCC) account. This storage is for Gmail, Google Drive, YouTube, and all the other G Suite of products.
Can I forward my e-mail to another account?
- Yes, you can configure e-mail forwarding by going to Options then Forwarding. Please note that automatically forwarding e-mail to another account can be unreliable due to network problems, spam filters, and other issues. If you choose to have your e-mail forwarded, we recommend that you also check the box beside ‘Keep a copy of each forwarded message’ and check your student e-mail regularly to delete e-mail you’ve received so that you do not exceed your storage limit.
- Google Help Guide on Gmail Forwarding
How do I get more help?
- Please contact the Instructional Technology Office, specifically, view the Student Resources page. From there, you can view an assortment of help resources and videos related to Canvas, Google, General Computing, and more. To submit a tech help request, please fill out the Student Tech Help Request form or call 540-869-0648.