For Immediate Release:
May 22, 2009
Primary Media Contact:
Public Relations Specialist
MIDDLETOWN, Va. – Lord Fairfax Community College’s (LFCC) Summer Art Institute will feature six different courses in the creative arts offered at the Middletown Campus. The Summer Art Institute courses are open to anyone interested in the arts and are a great option for teacher re-certification or humanities electives for students.
Following is a brief description and details about each three-credit course:
- Ceramics I – This course will explore hand-building techniques to make clay objects for firing in a wood kiln. At the end of the course, the class will participate in firing the objects they created in the wood kiln. The class will meet June 26, 27 and 28; July 10, 11 and 12; July 17, 18 and 19; and July 23, 24 and 25 (Friday – 5 to 9 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday – 1 to 5 p.m.).
- Computer Graphics I – This course is offered online and teaches students the basics of Adobe Illustrator. After taking the course, students will be able to apply their knowledge to the design projects they produce.
- Figure Drawing – Whether drawing classical or modern images, this course will explore the various aspects and types of figure drawing.The class will meet May 29, 30 and 31; June 5, 6 and 7; and June 12, 13 and 14 (Friday – 5 to 10 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday – 1 to 6 p.m.).
- Japanese Woodblock – This course focuses on carving and printing wood blocks. Students will learn how to plan a design, transfer it to a block, carve the woodblock and print the image. Students will work with a master woodcut artist to study the traditional Japanese woodcut medium Sosaku-Hanga and traditional Germanic woodcut techniques. The class will meet July 6 through 17, Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Printmaking I – This course will explore screenprinting with a printmaker who enjoys experimenting with the technique. Screenprinting is an extremely versatile medium, allowing students to produce imagery on paper, fabric, wood, metal and even plastic. The class will meet June 19 through July 2, Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Watercolor I – This course will guide beginners and advanced students through simple and easy techniques for controlling what is often assumed to be a challenging medium. Enjoy the spontaneity of both traditional and experimental approaches to this most assessable medium in the studio and on location. The class will meet June 19, 20 and 21; June 26, 27 and 28; and July 10, 11 and 12 (Friday – 5 to 10 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday – 1 to 6 p.m.).
For registration information and a materials list, interested individuals may contact Ann Currie at 540-868-7065 or [email protected].
Founded in 1970, Lord Fairfax Community College is a multi-campus public institution of higher education. With four locations — Middletown, Warrenton, Luray-Page County and most recently, Vint Hill— the College serves eight localities in the Shenandoah Valley and northern Piedmont regions. The localities are the counties of Clarke, Fauquier, Frederick, Page, Rappahannock, Shenandoah and Warren and the city of Winchester. LFCC offers more than 75 associate degree and certificate programs in a wide variety of disciplines, in addition to providing access to bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs offered on site by a four-year institution. LFCC also serves the business community by offering workforce preparation programs for employees and employers. LFCC serves more than 9,000 unduplicated credit students and more than 11,000 individuals in professional development and business and industry courses annually.
Lord Fairfax Community College (LFCC) is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Lord Fairfax Community College. Lord Fairfax Community College is an equal opportunity institution providing educational and employment opportunities, programs, services, and activities and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religion, disability, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or other non-merit factors. LFCC also prohibits sexual misconduct including sexual violence or harassment.