For Immediate Release:
March 18, 2008
Primary Media Contact:
Public Relations Specialist
MIDDLETOWN, Va. – Lord Fairfax Community College (LFCC) is hosting a Global Awareness Day on Monday, March 24, 2008, in the William H. McCoy Special Events Center located inside the Alson H. Smith Jr. Technology Center on the Middletown Campus. The event will feature presentations and activities from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is sponsored by LFCC students in the Administrative Support Technology Program and the College’s International Education Committee. The event is free and open to the public, and it seeks to educate attendees about the people, history and culture of our world.
In addition to a variety of presentations, Rafael Harpaz, director of public affairs at the Embassy of Israel in Washington, D.C., will present a visual tour of Israel culture at 1 p.m. Harpaz is responsible for the relationships between the Embassy of Israel and the District of Columbia, Virginia, Maryland and the American Jewish community. Before moving to Washington, D.C., Harpaz most recently served as deputy director of the Regional Security Department and export control coordinator at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Jerusalem. Prior to this position, he served as Israel’s Deputy Chief of Mission in Sweden, Switzerland and the Ivory Coast.
Following is the schedule of events for Global Awareness Day:
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. – International Cultural Tables – Experience a tour around the world, featuring artifacts, music and food samples.
- 10 to 11 a.m. – International Student Panel: Our World – LFCC students will share information about their native homeland.
- 11 a.m. to noon – Korea, China and Japan – The People, Culture and History – Jeff Hollar and Seung Hee Han will present a visual tour and discussion of Asian culture and countryside.
- Noon to 1 p.m. – International Cultural Tables and Irish Entertainment – Enjoy Irish music and poetry while sampling foods from around the world.
- 1 to 2 p.m. – Israel Embassy Diplomat’s Presentation – Rafael Harpaz will present a visual tour and discussion of Israel culture and countryside.
- 2 to 3 p.m. – International Student Panel: Our World – LFCC students will share information about their native homeland.
- 3 to 4 p.m. – India . . . A Land for all Seasons – Neelieth Nambiar and Saharsha Nambiar will present about the culture and traditions from The Republic of India.
- 4 to 5 p.m. – History of Fencing: The European Connection – David Copeland will present the history of the sport of fencing and the dueling tradition in Europe.
For more information about the Global Awareness Day activities, interested individuals may contact Virginia Hartman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-868-7184.
Founded in 1970, Lord Fairfax Community College is a multi-campus public institution of higher education. With four locations — Middletown, Warrenton, Luray-Page County and most recently, Vint Hill— the College serves eight localities in the Shenandoah Valley and northern Piedmont regions. The localities are the counties of Clarke, Fauquier, Frederick, Page, Rappahannock, Shenandoah and Warren and the city of Winchester. LFCC offers more than 75 associate degree and certificate programs in a wide variety of disciplines, in addition to providing access to bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs offered on site by a four-year institution. LFCC also serves the business community by offering workforce preparation programs for employees and employers. LFCC serves more than 9,000 unduplicated credit students and more than 11,000 individuals in professional development and business and industry courses annually.
Lord Fairfax Community College (LFCC) is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Lord Fairfax Community College. Lord Fairfax Community College is an equal opportunity institution providing educational and employment opportunities, programs, services, and activities and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religion, disability, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or other non-merit factors. LFCC also prohibits sexual misconduct including sexual violence or harassment.